Re: darwin host?

On Apr 8, 2004, at 7:27 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> writes:

The GNU binutils don't support the Mach-O object file format used on
OS X.  Talk to Apple.

However, BFD does supposedly, see bfd/mach-o.c and friends. Not obvious
why it's refusing to configure, maybe a little bitrot?

Hmmm, that's true, gas and ld shouldn't configure, but perhaps the BFD and the binutils should.

Our patched set of binutils does configure BFD and binutils, but I haven't looked at how far we diverge from the FSF sources in this directory.

FWIW the Apple set of patched sources can be gotten by anoncvs.  As per
	http://developer.apple.com/darwin/tools/cvs/howto.html

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.opensource.apple.com:/cvs/root login
("anonymous")
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.opensource.apple.com:/cvs/root co -r muon-branch gdb

You'd want to check out "muon-branch" as that's the last stable version of the sources; the head development represents some mid-merge mess that you don't want a piece of.

(I hate to sound like a slacker and not dig into the FSF binutils sources to find how they compare to our patched sources, but I'm in the middle of dealing with the aforementioned merge mess and am pretty busy just now..)

We use BFD for gdb, so it's a safe bet it can read MachO and CFM files, at least as far as gdb needs it to. Last time I looked, many of the binutils utilities worked although we don't test/support/use/ship any of those -- everything can be accomplished with the native OS X cctools programs (otool, nm, pagestuff, etc.)

Jason