Re: Binutils 2.15

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
[snip]
> > AFAIK the only current use of mips-ecoff WRT Linux is for arcboot
> > (a bootloader for SGI machines), and for objcopy'ing kernel images.
>
> Does arcboot need a mips-ecoff targeted binutils, or just objcopy from
> ELF also?

It uses mips-linux targeted binutils, but needs ld's ECOFF capability
for OUTPUT_FORMAT("ecoff-bigmips"). It's most likely simple to change
it to use the ELF linker and objcopy.

> > > Aha, Linux uses OUTPUT_FORMAT("ecoff-littlemips").  So we can't remove
> > > the ecoff support, but might be able to remove the mips-ecoff target
> > > itself.
> >
> > Huh? Linux uses elf-tradlittlemips.
>
> I was referring only to arch/mips/dec/boot/ld.ecoff.  Sorry for not
> being clear.

Which is obsolete and unused. The Linux kernels for DECstations
were made by elf2ecoff (a tool provided with the kernel) until
recently, and this is superseded now by delo, which allows to use
ELF kernels.

> In any case, it sounds like we're stuck with mips-ecoff for this
> release.  I'll just ignore the failures.

Most of them are AFAICS caused by newly added ELF-only tests.

Thiemo