Re: gprof cannot find symbols in a MIPS IRIX a.out

Anmol Paralkar <aparalka@cisco.com> writes:

>  Actually, I'm not trying to profile a shared library. The problem is that
>  by default compilation assumes shared libraries, and so the symbols are
>  placed in the dynamic symbol table, whereas gprof expects them in the
>  normal one.

That is not how most ELF linkers behave, although Daniel suggested
that the Irix linker does behave that way.  Most ELF linkers create
both a normal symbol and a dynamic symbol table when linking against a
shared object.  I expect that there is some way to tell the Irix
linker to do the same.  In general, the dynamic symbol table need only
contain symbols which are dynamically linked; the normal symbol table
is normally larger.

>  So the change that I made:
> > Precisely how does it not work?  I don't know if that will give you
> > correct profiling, but I would not expect you to get the ``no symbol''
> > error.
>
>  Here's the debugger trace:

I'm sorry, I don't know why it isn't working.

Ian