Re: arm-wince-pe support resurrection

Hello Nick,

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Nick Clifton wrote:

>   --- binutils-031118/bfd/reloc.c	Sun Nov 23 21:33:24 2003
>   *************** _bfd_final_link_relocate (reloc_howto_ty
>   *** 1353,1358 ****
>   --- 1353,1361 ----
>       if (address > input_section->_raw_size)
>         return bfd_reloc_outofrange;
>
>   +   if (!howto->partial_inplace)
>   +     return bfd_reloc_ok;  /* Do not modify "inplace" data, if not requested. */
>   +
>
> This looks wrong to me.  First of all you are modifying a generic
> routine which is used by all ports, not just the arm-wince-pe, so any
> change has to be reviewed carefully.
>
> Secondly this patch appears to be preventing _bfd_final_link_relocate
> from performing any relocation for which partial_inplace is FALSE.
> This would include all ELF ports which use RELA relocations, which
> cannot be right.
>
> What was the purpose of this part of the patch ?

Sorry, I've made the change under wrong suspicions.

What I'm trying to do is prevent modification of "inplace" section
data if partial_inplace is set to FALSE and the relocation record
remains in resulting object (or executable) file. Obviously, in this
case we need only to modify the relocation record. This kind of
processing is implemented in bfd_perform_relocation() via the
modification of arelent *reloc_entry structure.

It seems I need a closer look on the sources.

...Bye..Dmitry.