SH relocation differences in older versions of the binutils

We're just noticing a problem now with our port of the 2.12.1 binutils
whereby SH binaries that are built with 2.10.1 and relocated with 2.12.1 are
being subtly corrupted.  The format of the resultant file is correct, but
some of the contents are slightly different (I'm not sure exactly what.
Based on a hex dump it seems to be addresses within the .text section but
that's the extent of what I've seen.)

Does anyone know/remember what would have changed with the handling of
relocations for SH between these two versions of the binutils?