Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Ben Elliston <bje@wasabisystems.com> writes:

> My opinion (if it matters) is that we should choose a triplet that
> insulates us from marketing types at Sun.  sunos5.x seems like a
> reasonable choice, but I understand the the change is going to be really
> problematic.

While this sounds like a good idea to those of us deeply in the know and
familiar with the past ten years of Sun operating system history and
marketing idiocies, I think the average newcomer, who is mystified by
uname output, is going to be really confused by sunos5.x.  uname output is
pretty much the only place that's used that the average Solaris user would
see it, and the term "SunOS" is used in the literature and in on-line
discussion pretty much exclusively to refer to SunOS 4.x.