Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr> writes:

> without real numbers one could still argue that this is only a piece
> of wishful thinking.

It might be helpful to have more numbers, but I don't think they would
affect the conclusion that only a tiny fraction of programs are
affected, and the fixes will be relatively easy.

> I think you didn't really take into account the additional burden
> this would place on the shoulders of maintainers.  I can speak for
> the GCC side: Solaris is a pain to support, period.

Yes, I understand that.  I occasionally have helped with GCC support
on Solaris.  I have volunteered to compose a patch for GCC, if that
would help reassure you.

> > However, in past quarters I have had them build GCC, so they were
> > affected.
>
> But were they really affected? I mean, beyond scratching their head for 2
> minutes after seeing the triplet.

2 minutes times 90 students is three hours.  And that's just one class
in one quarter at one university.  After a while it starts to add up.
We want to encourage newbies, not confuse them.

> it would IMHO be inconsistent to get rid of the Solaris moniker, now
> that GCC only supports Solaris.

A more drastic change to GCC's support for Solaris/SunOS, that changes
most instances of 'Solaris' to 'SunOS', would also work (though it'd
take a bit more time to write).  If you'd prefer such a solution I
could propose one along those lines instead.  (Obviously I shouldn't
bother doing any of this unless config.guess/config.sub are changed.)