Re: bug-binutils@gnu.org

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 10:38:11PM -0500, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

> >By "it" (forward) I mean forwarding bug-binutils, not
> >bug-gnu-utils.
> >
> >Does that change your comments?  If not, read on.

> >> I don't see how that would be extremely useful since replies would end
> >> up here and not in bug-gnu-utils.
> >
> >(Why should bug-binutils answers better go to bug-gnu-utils
> >rather than here?)
> >
> >>  Also, the non-binutils email wouldn't
> >> really be appropriate here.
> >
> >(I was referring to bug-binutils, so I think there'd only be
> >binutils-email. ;-)
>
> The only way I know of to link the two lists is to subscribe binutils
> sources redhat com to bug-gnu-utils since there is no actual
> bug-binutils list.

We know that by now, and that's what I referred to by
"bug-binutils just forwards to bug-gnu-utils, one way or
another".  It doesn't have to *remain* like this though.

I think I somehow lost you with my reply, so I'll try other
words: because there is no real bug-binutils list and it's just
an alias, it could just be an alias for *this list* rather than
for bug-gnu-utils.  Let's please lose the bug-gnu-utils
connection completely.

>  I suppose you could get a gnu.org sysadmin to
> forward only the bug-binutils mail here

Hoping for that to be the one and only outcome, yes.

> but it seems like you'd trip
> over the same political problems that always come from trying to use
> this site.

The alternative at hand seems to be to continue to ignore the
for all existing releases advertised bug-report-address for
binutils.  Note also the suggestion above about using the name
binutils a t sourware.org when forwarding.

Anyway, something political is bound to come out of this since
Nick's post.

>  And, as I said, there is no guarantee that a reply to
> a message in binutils would go back to bug-binutils.

If it's changed to be just an alias for this list, there's no
need to keep anything separate, and "messages going back" has no
meaning, right?

brgds, H-P