How to configure binutils for "other" architectures etc

I'm sure this question has been asked before -- surprising there is nothing in the manuals, at least where I've looked.
Background:
I have a Linux "pc" (Redhat 8.2 on i686) that I want to setup for cross development, target = powerpc
How do I configure the binutils to recognize something other than the native platform formats?
Are there command line args to the configure script? What are they? Is there a summary somewhere?

thanks in advance,

/bob