Re: PowerPC gas -many

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 08:38:47AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
> I'm also concerned about the use of -many.  For example, between Book-E
> and classic PPC mftb changes encoding.  I'm not sure what expectation
> users have today with -many, but it may be more confusion when
> conflicts arise that the 'default' behavior is not what they expect
> based on their focus.

With the patch I posted, you can set the default.  eg. as -m440 -many.

>  Also, disassembly is a nightmare with -many.

No one is forcing you to use -Many.  It's a new option for the
disassembler.

> I'm pretty sure between AltiVec / SPE / macc* there are over lapping
> opcodes and which one should get precedences?

Yes, it's true there are overlapping opcodes.  If you know you are
disassembling SPE code, use -Me500.  Or -Me500 -Many to get SPE plus
others, with SPE taking precedence.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre