Re: GNU as 2.14 on IRIX 6: crashes with shared libs

Actually, the reason that GDB supports the ".pdr" section is the inadequacy of that prologue scanner. Perhaps it's fixable, perhaps it isn't; I'm not sure. The change definitely helped.

Just FYI,

It's somewhat chicken vs egg. MIPS added the .pdr stuff due to the recognized complexity of implementing a prologue scanner for that architecture. Exactly which occured first (.pdr or someone failing to implement the scanner) I don't know, but the problem is independant of GDB.

Now ~15 years later we're back with almost the same problem, only this time the scanner is avoided by using dwarf 2 cfi :-)

Andrew