Re: GNU as 2.14 on IRIX 6: crashes with shared libs

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> writes:

> > * What's the expansion of the pdr acronym?
>
> Procedure description record?  Maybe.

Yes.  It's presumably a holdover from the old Third Eye aka msym aka
ECOFF debugging format.

> If you don't have .pdr sections, _and_ you don't have
> .debug_frame/.eh_frame from the compiler, then you have to use a hokey
> prologue analyzer.  If MIPS did what (I think?) Alpha already does and
> generated .debug_frame or .eh_frame automatically if there was no
> input frame data, then we could ditch it.

Prologue analyzers are hokey, but they usually work fine in practice.
They do need occasional tweaking.  gdb already has one for MIPS,
heuristic_proc_desc() in mips-tdep.c.

Ian