Re: Partial autoconf transition thoughts

On 13 Jun 2003, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> >  OK, then what about the following example: on an i386-linux system I have
> > three shared binaries of libbfd, one is for i386-linux host and i386-linux
> > target, another one is for i386-linux host and mipsel-linux target and the
> > last one is for mipsel-linux host and mipsel-linux target.
>
> $(exec_prefix)/$(target_alias) should place them in different
> directories.

 OK, the first is a native one, so it goes to $exec_prefix, say:
/usr/lib.  The second one is a cross one, so it goes to
$exec_prefix/$target_alias, say: /usr/mipsel-linux/lib.  Finally, the last
one is a cross one, too, so it goes to $exec_prefix/$target_alias, say:
/usr/mipsel-linux/lib -- oops! -- the second one just got overwritten...

> Anyway, after re-reading the thread, I remember why we chose to do it
> the way we did it.  It does make sense, even thought I still find it
> not ideal.

 I am looking forward to seeing any proposals for improvements.