Re: Marking ia64 psABI conformance (Re: PATCH: Support the .note.GNU-property section)

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:32:41PM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 03:11:37PM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > > Anyway, for something this platform specific, you might as well use
> > > an e_flags bit.
> >
> > It is no binary compatible.
>
> We're ALREADY talking about an ABI incompatibility.  How does it make
> more sense to hide this incompatibility in some random magic section?
>
> > Please keep in mind this only affects .o files, executables and
> > DSOs are ok.
>
> What has this got to do with anything?
>
> > It doesn't make senses to
> > ask everyone to upgrade their whole IA64 system just to support
> > the ia64 psABI conforming .o files generated by the new gcc.
>
> I see ZERO difference between your note section and using a bit
> in the e_flags.  Except that yours is more convoluted, and less

Can you make a proposal using a bit in the e_flags and describe its
impact on kernel, glibc, compiler and binutils? Also any change in
the e_flags will have go through the ia64 psABI.

> obvious that it is NOT advisory, unlike the execstack bit.

The problem only happens when

1. Mixing ABI conforming .o files with .o files containing external
funtions don't preserve GP. And
2. IPO with symbol visibility on the external funtions from non ABI
conforming .o files.

If one of them is not true, there is no problem. There are no problems
linking against shared libraries. My goal is to provide a way for
linker to detect possible run-time error with minimum changes required
for the rest of system. A bit in the note section seems a less
intrusive solution to me. But I am open to all suggestions.

H.J.