Question about libbfd

Hi.

  I am making a small application for the autopackage project
(http://autopackage.org) that lists library dependencies of a Linux ELF
binary/library recursively. The problem is that i use the command
"objdump -p /usr/bin/foobar | grep NEEDED" to get the 'NEEDED' entries.
  Since i 'call the shell' from C code to execute that command, i have
problems with resources and execution speed. I believe that there must be
a way to get the 'NEEDED' entries by using libbfd. Unfortunately i found
poor documentation about libbfd (or at least this is my perception :)
 I would be thankful if you provide me some info on how to get the
'NEEDED' entries using C and libbdf.

Thanks.