gcc 3.3 default_assemble_visibility problem (Was: Re: sh-elf toolchain broken on mainline)

P.S.:

This problem is likely to affect other targets besides sh-elf.
On any target where USER_LABEL_PREFIX is not empty, or
ASM_OUTPUT_LABELREF does any other non-identity operations,
and which does not define its own way to output hidden symbols,
hidden symbol output will be incorrect, not making the intended
symbol hidden, and creating an undefined hidden symbol with a
different name instead - likewise for internal and protected
symbols.

The following port config files define USER_LABEL_PREFIX to "_":
arm/aout.h
arm/coff.h
arm/pe.h
c4x/c4x.h
cris/cris.h
dsp16xx/dsp16xx.h
h8300/elf.h
h8300/h8300.h
i386/bsd.h
i960/i960.h
ip2k/ip2k.h
m68k/m68k.h
m88k/m88k.h
pdp11/pdp11.h
romp/romp.h
sh/coff.h
sh/embed-elf.h
sparc/sparc.h
v850/v850.h
vax/vax.h

Moreover, ASM_OUTPUT_LABELREF is defined by the
following further config files:
alpha/alpha.h
arc/arc.h
arm/aof.h
arm/arm.h
arm/pe.h
i370/i370.h
i386/cygming.h
ia64/sysv4.h
mcore/mcore.h
mips/mips.h
mmix/mmix.h
mn10200/mn10200.h
mn10300/mn10300.h
pa/pa.h
rs6000/linux64.h

OTOH, Only rs6000/rs6000.c defines TARGET_ASM_ASSEMBLE_VISIBILITY
With the release of binutils 2.15 - or maybe already 1.14.1 -
the damage will become apparent for all of the above targets that
use binutils - i.e. most of the ones that are not already dead.

Unless my patch:
or an equivalent is accepted for the 3.3 branch, we should make
target-specific patches to all targets that we don't want to deprecate.

--
SuperH (UK) Ltd.