informations in ELF?

Hi,

at the moment i try to write some C++ classes
that help reading/changing/writing ELF files.

Reading the file, interpreting its contents,
getting the value of some symbols etc. works
quite well.

But some information about ELF files are still
missing, maybe somebody could give me some hints?

1.
Section names are in section ".shstrtab", index
"e_shstrndx".  Are all other symbols always in
section ".strtab"?
Or could there for example also be a section ".strtab2"
or something like this?

2.
Can i somehow get the size of a pointer of the target
machine from the ELF file?

3.
What sections are copied by objcopy from the ELF
file to e.g. an SREC file?
Has (sh_type == PROGBITS && (sh_flags & ALLOC)) to
be true?  I assume it is the condition above,
is that right?

Best regards,
Torsten.