Re: [RFC] windres' -I option

> But it is my code, how can *I* not have the right to put in the public
> domain? And if I don't have that right, how do I have the right to
> assign it to the FSF?

There are two parts:

First, the author should assign the code.  In the FSF case, this is
non-exclusive, but the assignment papers give the FSF the legal right
to persue copyright violations in court.  Even if you put code in the
public domain, the FSF would want something with a signature on it
proving that.

Second, your employer should disclaim the code.  This means that they
are officially declaring that they have no legal right to the code
(i.e. some employment contracts cause *all* code you write to be owned
by your employer, even if you wrote it on your own time).  The
disclaimer gives the FSF proof that you had the right to assign the
code.

Between the two, the FSF would have enough legal paperwork to show
that they have a legitimate right to the code.