Re: Relocation bug

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 11:01:38AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> > It also means the binutils ABI MIPS ELF and MIPS IRIX ELF targets are
> > broken resulting in 1) break support for those binary flavours and 2)
> > in combination with the matching OpenBSD and GNU Libc bugs somewhat
> > establishing two new minimally different but incompatible binary
> > flavours.  As for Linux both flavours are currently actively being
> > shipped by vendors.  It's simply not yet caused major yelling because
> > most users are not swapping swapping binaries around.  It's a bloddy
> > mess and I'm trying to stop it before it gets worse.
>
> I'm curious.  Name a Linux vendor shipping the previous ABI, the one
> you want to revert to?

Sony is shipping such Linux stuff.  There are others who I will not name on
a public list.

The ld breakage is also breaking the linker for SysV ABI and o32 IRIX.

> Only person I know still using tools that old is you.

Not really.  I'm using a patched linker for userspace ever since this
happened.  I only insisting that a) kernel builds with old binutils stay
possible and b) I keep using egcs 1.1.2 for kernel only because newer gccs
are so ridiculously slow.

Btw, writing a converter that takes a DSO and converts it between the two
flavours is easy.

  Ralf