Re: MIPS patch to avoid lazy binding in la macros

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com> writes:
> On Feb 20, 2003, Richard Sandiford <rsandifo at redhat dot com> wrote:
> > But due to a suspect feature, gas treats
>
> >         la $25,foo
>
> > as a special case and allows foo to be lazily bound.  Not the
> > desired effect. ;)
>
> How about doing the lazy binding but, if you find any intervening use
> of $25 between the la and the jump to $25, you force early binding?

Please no ;)  I think the worst thing we can do is build yet
more hacks on top of what we already have.  The mips reloc code
is hairy enough as it is.

Hmm.  I see you're responding to my first message.  As I said
in a follow-up, I think we should stop gcc splitting the jal
macro in final.  Sound reasonable?

Richard