Re: (toplevel) Fix dramatic breakage for ordinary crosses (related to program_transform_name)

On Dec 28, 2002, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> wrote:

> I notice that you moved the .NOTPARALLEL down to the configure section.

Just because otherwise `make NOTPARALLEL=something' would cause make
to try to build something, not all.

> While it is there what do you think of removing the serialization
> dependencies?

Some day, some day...

Really, the only way to avoid them is to introduce some form of
locking, an idea that DJ vehemently rejects.

Unless...  We could perhaps have NOTPARALLEL set by default, which
would take care of avoiding configurations in parallel even without
serialized dependencies, but a configure option to disable NOTPARALLEL
and introduce locking.  DJ, how does this sound for you?

> Also, top level configure no longer accepts --norecursion.

The autoconf spelling is --no-recursion.  Anyway, it no longer
recurses...  Unfortunately, with autoconf, it gets *really* tricky to
introduce options that are not in the autoconf option space (--with or
--enable), so offering --norecursion for backward-compatibility gets
tricky.

> This means that one has to configure from scratch in any existing
> working directory.

./config.status --recheck?

Oh, perhaps you mean with a config.status that pre-dates
autoconfiscation?  Yeah, this would be tricky...  Editing
config.status is your best bet.  Failing that, well...  Running the
top-level configure again is no such big deal, is it? :-)