Re: (toplevel) Fix dramatic breakage for ordinary crosses (related to program_transform_name)

On Dec 28, 2002, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> I can't reproduce exactly the problem you had, Kazu, but I did manage to
> generate some dramatic breakage; apparently autoconf's version of
> $program_transform_name doesn't like to be after the s/x/x/ in sed.

That's just because, unlike the Cygnus configure one, autoconf's
$(program_transform_name) doesn't start with a -e.  In fact, autoconf
uses `;' as the sed command separator, whereas Cygnus configure used
to use multiple sed commands, each one prefixed by -e.  autoconf's
approach is reportedly a little bit more portable.

This unfortunately means that your fix is not quite perfect yet, since
multiple transform commands would be word-split and sed might take
them as input file names.  I suggest replacing:

        t='$(program_transform_name)'; echo as | sed -e $$t ; \

with

        echo as | sed '$(program_transform_name)'; \

that is the construct used by automake.