^c now disallowed? (was Re: "cd dir && $(MAKE)", not "cd dir; $(MAKE)")

Browsing the gdb archives I came across this.

Nathanael Nerode writes:
 > But interrupting 'make' in the middle can give
 > all manner of screwy results now; don't rely on it.

Ugh.  This is an effect of the configury change that
I hadn't anticipated.  This is going to be a major pain IMHO.

Are the powers that be really ok with saying "just don't do that (*1)" ?

(*1): Which is effectively the same as saying rm -rf *
(assuming objdir != srcdir of course) is required if
you ^c and want the next `make' to work (assuming you don't want to
go to the trouble of figuring out what state the tree is in that will
screw up a subsequent make).  Ugh.