This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Setting LD tool default to ld breaks configure check for ld used by GCC
- From: "John David Anglin" <dave at hiauly1 dot hia dot nrc dot ca>
- To: dave at hiauly1 dot hia dot nrc dot ca (John David Anglin)
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com, gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, libtool at gcc dot gnu dot org, dj at redhat dot com
- Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:57:09 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: Setting LD tool default to ld breaks configure check for ld used by GCC
> > The toplevel configure script sets "LD=ld". The ld used by the GCC check
> > in the opcodes directory has the line
> > test -z "$LD" && LD="$ac_prog"
> The above line comes from libtool.m4. If we set LD="" in the toplevel
> configure script, the libtool script then sets LD to ld program used by
> GCC. However, this define for LD isn't a proper default. So, I am
> wondering if the libtool script should also reset LD when LD=ld?
After some discussion of this matter on the libtool list, the conclusion
is that Cygnus configure shouldn't be setting LD and other similar defines
in native builds. PR 9031 has more details.
J. David Anglin firstname.lastname@example.org
National Research Council of Canada (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6605)