This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH/RFA] Allow merging read-only sections into .text on a.out
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: thorpej at wasabisystems dot com
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com, drow at mvista dot com
- Date: 10 Dec 2002 17:19:29 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFA] Allow merging read-only sections into .text on a.out
- References: <20021125234416.GA7961@yeah-baby.shagadelic.org>
> The following patch allows read-only sections to be merged with .text
> by the a.out back-end.
> The problem is once again with C-referenceable sections (the "link sets"
> I referred to in the previous thread about the linker). They are being
> sorted into .text (per my previous patch) in this case, but still have
> their own sections, and the a.out back-end does not know how to represent
> them in the output file.
> OK for mainline? OK for 2.13 branch?
> * aoutx.h (set_section_contents): Allow an otherwise unrepresentable
> read-only section that lies after .text and before .data to be
> written into the output file and included in a_text.
> (translate_to_native_sym_flags): If an otherwise unrepresentable
> section was merged with .text, convert its symbols to N_TEXT
> * libaout.h (aout_section_merge_with_text_p): New macro.
Approved and applied for mainline.
I am not sure about its suitability for the branch, since I would
consider this a new feature (being able to merge in these otherwise
unrepresentable sections). But I know that it is something that you
hoped would be in 2.13.2, so we'll let Daniel decide.