Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions.

Klee Dienes wrote:
> 1) Specify the versions of autoconf/automake/libtool/gettext by
> reference to official tarballs from ftp.gnu.org.  In general, define
> the version used to be "the most recent officially released version of
> each tool".

I'm not a heavy autotools guy, but I do try to maintain a standardized
build + test enviroment for gdb testing.  I agree with the idea of
referring to official tarballs from ftp.gnu.org.  I strongly think that
the pointer should say "autoconf 2.56", for example, rather than "the
most recent officialy released version of autoconf".

If the pointer said "most recent officially released version of
autoconf", and I followed those instructions, then I would unwittingly
be using a different version of autoconf (2.57) then the version you are
standardizing on (2.56).  I would prefer an absolute version number,
and we kick it forward when we are happy with the new release + when
the project is not frozen in that regard.

I'm comfortable with the ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils mirror if
we really do enforce that the versions in there are the versions that
we use.  But I'm more comfortable if src/README-maintainer-mode points
directly to ftp.gnu.org.  It seems easier to manage a version list in
README-maintainer-mode rather than ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils.
Also as a gdb maintainer I can notice changes in README-maintainer-mode
easier than I can notice changes in ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils.

(BTW the top level src/README-maintainer-mode file still refers to
ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com).

Michael C