This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Patch to config.guess (2002-07-03) to detect 64bit HPUX compiler
- From: Ben Elliston <bje at redhat dot com>
- To: "John David Anglin" <dave at hiauly1 dot hia dot nrc dot ca>
- Cc: ross dot alexander at uk dot neceur dot com, law at redhat dot com, binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 04 Dec 2002 20:53:12 +1100
- Subject: Re: Patch to config.guess (2002-07-03) to detect 64bit HPUX compiler
- References: <200212040051.gB40pJhe025983@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
>>>>> "John" == John David Anglin <email@example.com> writes:
John> There was a further problem... I directed the output of the
John> __LP64__ check to /dev/null. I guess the "-q" was necessary.
I omitted the -q in my patch because according to the GNU grep manual:
Portability note: unlike GNU grep, traditional grep did not conform
to POSIX.2, because traditional grep lacked a -q option and its -s
option behaved like GNU grep's -q option. Shell scripts intended to
be portable to traditional grep should avoid both -q and -s and
should redirect output to /dev/null instead.
However, since we can be assured that this code will only be executing
on HP-UX (and if HP-UX's native grep supports -q), I think it can go