Re: (toplevel patch) Dependency tidy.

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 07:36:20PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > Please, can we have some of the binutils dependencies back!  When
> > running "make check", it's most useful to test binutils, gas, ld
> > in that order.
>
> That patch didn't change dependencies, just change the order lines
> showed up in the Makefile Before all this, the order depended on the
> order listed in configure, not the Makefile.  Since the point of all
> this is to support parallelisms (i.e. check bfd, gas, and ld all at
> the same time), if you want them checked in a specific order you'll
> have to serialize them with additional dependencies, which would lose
> the benefits of parallelisms.
>
> I suppose we could rely on the order listed in configure/Makefile.tpl
> still, but I really hate to rely on such a fickle thing if the order
> really matters.

No, it doesn't _really_ matter, but on the other hand it's not much
use trying to run the ld testsuite if your assembler isn't working.
Ditto for running the gas testsuite when eg. readelf or nm are
broken.  I'd like to see plain "make check" without any -j option
run in this order, at least when gnu make is used.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre