This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: mips: reduce got size
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com>
- To: Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 20:07:55 -0500
- Subject: Re: mips: reduce got size
- References: <email@example.com>
On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 06:36:06AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> This patch arranges for the linker to better estimate the number of
> got entries it's going to need for local addresses. Without this
> patch, gcc fails to bootstrap on IRIX 6. With it, bootstrapping
> Unfortunately, this is still not enough to get gdb to link properly.
> Additional work is going to be necessary for this to work.
Presumably the gdb link failure is a GOT overflow also, and it happens
because the GOT can only contain half as many (or fewer?) symbols resp.
If so then the thing to do will be multiple GOTs; I spent some time
talking to Eric and possibly Richard about this earlier. There's
basically a complete implementation of it in elf64-alpha.c that we can
grab and integrate with the MIPS code. Tedious but not overly complex,
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer