Re: relocation overflow

Greetings!

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:01:59PM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Greetings, and thanks for your reply.
> >
> > The relocation type is R_PPC_REL24.  I've got the failure up now in
> > gdb and can backtrace into the bfd library if this would help.
>
> Presumably it won't help - bear in mind, this is a _24-bit_ relocation.
> You have to load modules close enough that that suffices, or else you
> have to insert trampolines for longer jumps... through a GOT or
> whatever.
>
> PowerPC GCC doesn't seem to have a long-calls option, so you're just
> out of luck if you can't fit things in 16MB.  Trampolines may be the
> way to go.

Actually, I just happened to find out recently that gcc 3.3 does have
a -mlongcalls on ppc.  This switch seems to clear up an analogous
problem on ARM, so I think waiting for this is the most efficient way
to go, presuming of course that 3.3 won't be too long coming.  I
wonder if there is a simple way for me to excise this functionality
from gcc CVS and maintain a patch until 3.3 is released?  Sounds
pretty involved.

Take care,