Re: 'make check' failures building red hat 8.0 binutils?

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 06:49:29PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:

I wanted to use mpatrol on redhat, but it wants libiberty to be
available as a shared library. ...
Red Hat doesn't ship libiberty that way, so I tried building
red hat 8.0's binutils from the srpm without any tweaks.
Running /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/binutils-2.13.90.0.2/gas/testsuite/gasp/gasp.exp ...
FAIL: gasp assign

That is because RHL binutils up to the one in 8.0 used to be build in source
dir, ie. ./configure ... and the gasp search in the testsuite is confused by
seeing gasp subdirectory.
binutils in Red Hat rawhide already build in separate build dir and the
tests pass.
Though I think it would be good idea to just cvs remove the whole
gas/testsuite/gasp subdirectory, there is no need to test gasp when it is
no longer included.
Thanks.  I removed that subdirectory, and now make check runs fine.

On to the next hurdle.  The srpm already configured with --enable-shared,
but libiberty's configure still didn't make a shared library.  So I followed
http://sed.free.fr/mark_malloc/doc.html, and just did

# cd libiberty/pic
# gcc -shared --whole-archive -o libiberty.so *.o
# cp libiberty.so /usr/lib

This made mpatrol happy; now 'mpatrol -d /bin/ls' actually executes
ls successfully instead of complaining about the lack of libiberty.so.
(It'd be nice if Debian and Red Hat shipped libiberty.so *just to support
mpatrol et al*, if for no other reason.)

On to actually debugging my program!

Thanks all,
Dan