Can binutils help me?

Hello

If any of you have used the GDB mailing list recently, you might have seen my
posts there.

I'm implementing a remote debugger to a C55x target, and I am pretty new to
both this target, and the GDB. For this to work, the GDB must have the symbol
table of the file I want to debug remotely, but it can't get it, because it
doesn't support my target, and therefor it also doesn't support the target
specific code, although it's in COFF format (Generated by CCS from TI).

I've noticed some c54x-named files in the GDB source code, which seemed
interesting, but so far I haven't found their usage. I tried compiling my
files to a C54x target and setup the GDB but no results.

Then I read somewhere, that binutils has a port for the GDB to a C54x target,
but I had no idea what binutils are.

So my question is: Can any of you tell me if binutils might be able to help me
solving my problems with the GDB, which is, that it can't read the symbol
table for my C54x target compiled out-file (Or C55x most importantly - Just
thought it would be a good start to get it working with a C54x first)???.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-D

Best Regards
James Sampson