Re: (hppa-linux) simple testcase for binutils visibility problem

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:14:34PM -0800, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > on hppa-linux, there seems to be a binutils problem with symbol
> > visibility.
>
> tc-hppa.h:tc_frob_symbol rips out unused symbols.  Don't ask me why,
> but it seems a reasonable thing to do.

I am talking here without doing any analysis but I believe this is
done because the hpux linkers and dynamic loaders require that external
symbols be imported or typed.  GCC is not very smart about this for a
variety of reasons and so it issues import directives for external
symbols before a final decision is made as to whether the symbol
is actually needed.  We don't want these directived pulling in unnecessary
code, so I think this is why tc_frob_symbol rips out unused symbols.

hppa-linux doesn't do this except for library calls where it uses
.globl.  On hppa64-hpux, GCC is currently using .type to set the
type of undefined symbols.

Dave