Re: QNX binutils targets

Hey.

If possible:

1) I want to maintain backward compatibility with our
   exisiting tools and the binaries the produced.

2) I want to see that other people do not get the QNX
   specific behavior when they build --enable-targets=all.

So to achieve point 1 I think I need to use the old naming
conventions, where I basically just extend the default bfd,
but leave the TARGET_LITTLE_NAME alone.

To achive point 2, I think I could start emitting an empty
section, say .<CPU>.GNU.abi.qnx, and look for it in the qnx
specific backend functions, returning without executing the
qnx code if it is not found.

If someone configures for some combination that includes both
a qnx target bfd and the one it is based on, they would have a
small increase in runtime which checks for the section, and
behaves accordingly.

Does this seem reasonable?  Is my understanding of the various
proposals here correct?  The ELFOSABI_QNX seems ok, except that
I don't want to break backward compatibility if I can, and if
I have understood the various mails, it would do just that.

The only drawback I see is for QNX, which is that the extensions
would only work on binaries generated with the new tools.  This
is ok.

Thanks as always, and I am quite willing to be corrected if I
am wrong in any of the above.

Cheers.
GP