Re: Add hppa*64* support to libtool in binutils

Jeff,

At the moment my is not to check in libtool itself for 64bit environment,
and only use the $host_cpu variable as a guide to behaviour.  I have
build gtk+-2.0.x with a patched libtool and it basically behaved itself,
using the --build=hppa64-hp-hpux11.00 to tell libtool to expect 64bit code.

A couple of questions.

1) Do we put check in config.guess to output hppa64-hp-hpux11.xx if it
detects a 64bit compiler (ie $CC -E | grep __LP64__ etc)?

2) Should hardcode_into_libs be true (true for SOM, false for IA64)?

There is a bug in libtool-1.4e to do with rpath data polution deplibs, so I
haven't produced a patch yet.

Cheers,

Ross

Ross Alexander                           "He knows no more about his
MIS - NEC Europe Limited            destiny than a tea leaf knows
Work ph: +44 20 8752 3394         the history of East India Company"

                      Jeff Law
                      <law@porcupine.slc.        To:       ross.alexander@uk.neceur.com
                      redhat.com>                cc:       "John David Anglin" <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>, aoliva@redhat.com,
                                                  binutils@sources.redhat.com, binutils-owner@sources.redhat.com,
                      12/08/2002 18:50            gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org, sje@cup.hp.com, libtool@sources.redhat.com
                      Please respond to          Subject:  Re: Add hppa*64* support to libtool in binutils
                      law

In message <OFA15CDC33.853DE7E3-ON80256C05.0038EA84@uk.neceur.com>,
ross.alexan
der@uk.neceur.com writes:

 >David,
 >
 >I'm currently looking at revising libtool-1.4e to add HPUX64 support.
I've
 >got a
 >couple of questions.
 >
 >1) Should the mode be determined from $cpu_host or by checking __LP64__
 >in the cc defines.  Given that the config.guess returns
 >hppa2.0w-hp-hpux??.??
 >and we assume that is 32bit then do we assume the user knows what they
 >are doing and assume they only want 64bit when the target is hpux64.
 >Should libtool check that they match correctly.
We certainly don't want to go into 64bit mode unless it's explicitly been
asked for.  If you can actually run the compiler, then checking for
__LP64__ should get you this information.  Alternately if you can't run
the compiler, go into 64bit mode for hppa64-*-* configurations only.

jeff