Wish to change dependency filenames in shared library

I have a need to modify dependency filenames in a shared library (elf, Linux
x86 if relevant).  It appears to me that the dependency filenames are
included in the .dynstr section.  Is there a reasonable way to modify these
filenames, either with a pre-existing utility, or by writing a simple
program using libbfd?  (Assume that I do not have the ability to rebuild the
library which needs to be modified).

Thanks.

-- Randy

Randy Sargent