Syntax of PowerPC instructions

Hi all,

Someone sent me a patch of my system for PPC/Darwin that I'd like to
merge with my old PPC/Linux code. But there are a lot of minor syntactic
differences (e.g. under Darwin registers are named 'r..' while I only
used the reg number under Linux,...).
 Unfortunately I no longer have a PPC/Linux machine to test...

1) where could I find a detailed description of the asm syntax for
PowerPC/Linux gas accepts ?

2) is there a way to run gas in PPC mode under ix86/Linux
(cross-assembling) ?

Thank you for your attention.