Re: merge to branch

> o  toplevel dir, config/, etc/ changes

Can of worms.  I've got a short backlog of additional patches to the
existing files, and the contributor is working on autoconfiscating
them.  If you see individual patches that are worthy, pick and choose,
but the bulk of the changes don't fix bugs or add functionality -
they're mainly preludes to the autoconfiscation.

> o  binutils/rc*,res*,wind* fixes and related testsuite updates

I'd vote to get these in.