Re: libtool in binutils question

"Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl> writes:

>  One of the issues I know of with updating to autoconf 2.5x is as follows.
> The Cygnus top-level configure script passes target_alias (via
> "--target=") down to sub-configures as this is needed for setting tooldir
> properly.  Unfortunately, autoconf 2.5x considers cross-tools are to be
> build unconditionally whenever target_alias is set and it sets
> program_prefix then.  As a result all programs get installed under
> "${target_alias}-<program>" names.  Apparently this is a desired property
> of autoconf now.

It's been true for a while that if host_alias != target_alias, the
default for program_prefix is "${target_alias}-".  That is true of
autoconf 2.13, for example.  Are you saying that autoconf 2.5x sets
program_prefix whenever target_alias is set, even if it is the same as
host_alias?  I think that would be a bad change, as it makes it much
harder to configure an entire tree correctly.

Ian