Re: RFC: More stuff in struct bfd_link_info

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 09:05:47PM -0500, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> There's a some target-specific cruft in struct bfd_link_info
> (for example "int mpc860c0" and "boolean pei386_auto_import")
> that could go away (or at least not accumulate) if there was
> just a target-specific PTR member, say "PTR target_data".
>
> Also, I'd like to move "boolean relax" from ld.h:args_type to
> struct bfd_link_info, so bfd functions can see whether
> relaxation should be done, and perhaps also set it (only) when
> necessary; for example if some presumably costly relaxation only
> needs to be done if certain relocs are present.
>
> Thoughts?

One historic problem with target-specific PTR members has been when somebody
wants to write the program file in another format (S-records, ihex, etc.).
These formats don't have the target-specific PTR members.  I tend to advise
people, link for the standard object file format, and then use objcopy to make
a S-record afterwards, instead of telling the linker to make S-records
directly.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304