problem with binutils

hi
we are trying to build cross compilers for Synthetic =
linux(i686-pc-linux-gnu).
we have successfully build the the gcc and binutils.
For gcc, we are getting the prefix i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc but for ar,
objcopy...... etc., we are not getting the i686-pc-linux-gnu prefix.
because of which we are unable to build eCos on Synthetic linux as it
was asking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar which is not available in
/tools/H-i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin directory.

When we have tried the eCos build after renaming the ar to
i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar, we were able to build it.=20
but when we are trying to execute eCos example files the linux console
just hangs.

Is this the problem because of renaming ar?
if so what is the procedure for building i686-pc-linux-gnu binutils.

regards
kavitha