Re: MIPS md_apply_fix()(?) problem.

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:05:21AM -0800, cgd@broadcom.com wrote:
> "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:
> > Please follow
> >
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-09/msg00268.html
> >
> > We may take about the same problem.
>
> Can't tell.  I'd bet yes, but you didn't actually provide any examples
> of objects which had differences that were caused by this bug.  (all

The only differences I have seen are delay slot. Maybe we have
different kernel source/configuration or I have missed it. BTW,
I never used the FSF binutils to compile my mips kernel before

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-09/msg00294.html

went in since it never worked for me. The whole point of

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-09/msg00268.html

is not find out when the FSF binutils was broken, rather how to get a
working FSF binutils for Linux/mips.

> of the lo16/hi16 relocs you had that changed were against .bss, which
> was fine; it needs to be a reloc against a symbol, not a section.)
>
> Anyway, eventually you point to:
>
> 	http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-09/msg00294.html
>
> Richard S. asked you to back out the patch that improved the delay
> slot handling, and see if that made any difference.  AFAICT you never
> reported the result of that testing, but that could just be me not
> seeing the reply (or the archives not pointing me at it).  I believe
> if you backed that patch out of your sources and tested it, you would
> have seen breakage.

I should have made myself clear that

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-09/msg00294.html

is the patch which gives me a stable kernel.

> The equivalent patch, which went in as part of Thiemo's checkin on
> 2001-10-10 (a couple of hours after i pulled my snapshot 8-(), is
> indeed what allows the linux kernel to work again in the FSF binutils.
> (Why it went in as a part of a much larger patch containing newabi
> crud i really do not know; it was unrelated, and at least the
> changelogs should have been spaced to indicate that, but "whatever."
> water under the bridge now.)
>

> So, the upshot of all this:
>
> * you probably were talking about the same problem.  But really I
>   can't tell since none of the examples you provided (that I could see
>   in the followups, etc.,) were definitive.

That is all I got given the time I had.

> * it's worked around for the linux kernel (and other code which is
>   compiled with -G 0), AFAICT mostly by luck.

Maybe.

> * Still a real problem for non-"-G 0" code.

I don't think so unless you also use "gcc -mno-abicalls -fno-pic" or
you don't use ELF. I compiled my RedHat 7.1 mips port and didn't see
any problems.

H.J.