ld flag to allow multiply defined symbols?

I have searched through the archives and google/dejanews for the answer to this
question, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I am wondering
whether their is a Gnu equivalent to the Solaris ld flag '-z muldefs', which
allows a symbol definition in an object file to override a definition of the
same symbol in a static archive.  With the binutils ld this results in an error
condition.

If there is no such flag available, what is the proper forum for requesting the
flag as an RFE?

Thanks,

John
--
John Baron                                              jbaron@sgi.com
SGI Performance Engineering and Math Libraries