Re: PATCH: Fix the MIPS ISA ELF setting (Re: RedHat 7.1/mips update)

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 09:47:54AM -0800, cgd@broadcom.com wrote:
> "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:
> > I believe it is the wrong approach. If you do this, you may not get the
> > architecture bit in the ELF header, which is very much misleading. I
> > do want that bit if the binary contains instructions specific to that
> > architecture..
>
> Strongly disagree.
>
> If you compile with e.g. -march=foo, yes, you "definitely"(*) want the
> bits set in the ELF header.  However, if you don't, and just use a few
> instructions in inline assembly, then I don't think you want the bits
> in the ELF header at all.

What are you talking about? The problem we have is

-march=r4100 -mips2

doesn't work. That is we cannot assemble code which contains MIPS 2 plus
instructions like "standby" which is specific to R4100. I want

1. It should assemble.
2. The R4100 bit is set so that the loader can check if the binary is valid
for the hardware.

H.J.