Re: [RFA] [pei-386] prevent ld (auto-import) from generating broken code

Charles Wilson wrote:

>> And the volatile imposes a performance penalty on non-dll cases too,
>> trivial though it may be.
>>

> Okay, this may be flamebait, but at what point do you balance the
> tradeoff between ease-of-porting and performance?  In the case of
> cygwin, it's solidly on the side of ease-of-porting: a native port of
> "foo.exe" would definitely be faster than a cygwin version, but it's
> MUCH easier to port "foo" from unix to cygwin than to native-MS.

Oh yeah -- and remember, we're talking about a pretty esoteric thing.
First, this particular type of access doesn't seem to occur very often
in real code (otherwise, we would have run into this problem *sometime*
in the previous *year* of tests....)

Second, we're merely arguing about which of two alternatives to
*recommend*, while still presenting BOTH alternatives -- in the
documentation.  (Unless you're arguing for eliminating all references to
my preferred alternative?)

--Chuck