This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: bfd_read and bfd_write
- To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian at zembu dot com>
- Subject: Re: bfd_read and bfd_write
- From: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp at bitrange dot com>
- Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:56:00 -0400 (EDT)
- cc: Jim Blandy <jimb at zwingli dot cygnus dot com>, Alan Modra <amodra at bigpond dot net dot au>, <binutils at sources dot redhat dot com>, <gdb-patches at sources dot redhat dot com>
On 10 Sep 2001, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Hans-Peter Nilsson <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> > If it didn't have a slightly wacky twist, it wouldn't be a good
> > name. :-) I still don't get the original BFD one, though.
> Which original BFD one?
That BFD (also) alludes to something other than Binary File
Descriptor, because of this passage from bfd/doc/bfd.texinfo,
"The name came from a conversation David Wallace was having with
Richard Stallman about the library: RMS said that it would be
quite hard---David said ``BFD''. Stallman was right, but the
Me not native speaker. Could it be as profane as "big f..ng deal"?