Re: [RFA] pei386 dll: auto-import patch

On 05 Aug 2001 00:23:58 +0300, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
>           Thanks for all your work on supporting and lobbying the
> patch in question. Thanks to binutils maintainers for accepting it
> (heh, it was committed on a right day - I had birthday then, it was a
> good present, thanks ;-) ). Sorry that I didn't participate in the
> discussion - I was in the other city with little chance to access my
> mail and with no access to my devel machine.

Happy birthday then :}.

> 2. Presuppositions for using auto-import
>
> To use aut-import, you must have new-fashion import library [for those
> symbols which gets auto-imported], period. New-fashion implibs are
> produced by the new (auto-import-patched) ld. Hence, auto-import won't
> work with:
>
> 2.1. implibs made by old ld
> 2.2. implibs made by dlltool
>
> Additionally, it won't work when:
>
> 2.3. linking directly against dll
>
> The last case may need to be fixed somewhen.

Let me confirm I understand this:
1) The .dll created by --export-all-symbols and the new ld is _no_
different than an old style dll.
2) The import library contains all the hints necessary to allow
--auto-import to work.
3) Can we _in theory_ create new import libraries for ms dll's, and
dll's built with old ld's?
4) If so, how hard a patch to dlltool would that be?

Rob