Re: More problems with MIPS gas relocations

"Eric Christopher" <echristo@redhat.com> writes:
> Ok.  I've been away for a week and so am trying to catch up on my email.
> Does someone want to summarize this thread for me? ;)

In case you've not gotten through all of the messages in this thread
yet:

(1) Richard ran into an issue that caused him to change some of the
fairly fragile/evil code in config/tc-mips.c.

(2) I noted that I had a similar problem which was triggered by one of
H.J's changes:

	2001-06-08  H.J. Lu  <hjl@gnu.org>

	        * config/tc-mips.c (md_apply_fix): Don't adjust common
	        extern/weak symbols for ELF.
	        (md_estimate_size_before_relax): Treat weak like extern for
	        ELF.
	        (mips_fix_adjustable): Don't adjust extern/weak symbols for
	        ELF.

(3) Richard found that the same patch caused his problems.

(4) Based on understanding of the patch that H.J. made, H.J.'s patch
seems like The Right Thing (modulo some issues of not properly
checking for the object format being ELF, which have now been
addressed).

(5) Therefore, Richard still needs his change, and I still need mine.
(I've not submitted a patch for mine, at this point, and probably
won't for a while.  It's a set of options ~nobody is using, and i'm
Really Afraid of changing that chunk of code...)

I believe Richard's patch in the original message
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-07/msg00458.html) is still
oustanding.

chris