bug when upgrading bnu210->bnu211 ?

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded binutils, from bnu210 to bnu211
(all on djgpp  v2.03)
I used it to compile gpc-20010605 and ran the test suite.
Everything is OK except for a bug in fay.pas which was not
present with bnu210 (with the same gpc sources).

C:\djgpp\b\gnu\gcc-2.953\gcc\p\test>gpc -g -O3 --autobuild fay.pas
c:/djgpp/tmp\ccdaaaaa: Assembler messages:
c:/djgpp/tmp\ccdaaaaa:934: Fatal error: C_EFCN symbol out of scope

This is related to COFF debugging: it compiles and runs perfectly
without the -g option. Looking into coff.h,  I found

#define C_EFCN		0xff	/* physical end of function	*/

and line 934 is the last line of fay.s, so this seems consistent.

Looking to gpc mail archives I found two occurences of the
same error in the same test program fay.pas, in mails from andris
when we upgraded from gcc-2.95.2 to gcc-2.95.3, and which disappeared
when his suggestions enabled to compile gpc.

Nothing I can think about with such an erratic bug.

For reference, if somebody has an idea, I have uploaded to agnes
in the directory

ftp://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/home/maurice/

gpc compiled with the two versions of bnu (names are explicit),
and the modified version of gcc2953s2.zip I used to compile them:
modifications include a libiberty/configure.in.diff necessary
to use version 2.50 of autoconf and changes in build.bat and djbuild1.sh
to compile only gcc and gpc instead of the whole compiler collection.
Meanwhile I reverted to bnu210 and the link gpc2953b.zip points to the
bnu210 version.

Hope this helps (little hope in fact)

Maurice.

--