input section ordering

ld.info,  Node: Input Section Basics says this:

"There are two ways to include more than one section:
     *(.text .rdata)
     *(.text) *(.rdata)

The difference between these is the order in which the `.text' and
`.rdata' input sections will appear in the output section.  In the
first example, they will be intermingled.  In the second example, all
`.text' input sections will appear first, followed by all `.rdata'
input sections."

This paragraph was the basis for my suggestion to Geoff Keating re
.eh_frame data.  The trouble is, I can't see how the linker accomplishes
the above difference in input section order.  In fact, looking at
ldgram.y:input_section_spec, I think the linker treats both of the
above input section statements exactly the same.  Can anyone tell me
otherwise?

The next question is how to go about implementing a fix.  I figure we
need some sort of structure to handle the file name spec ('*' above),
that has a list of children handling the sections (specified above
inside the parentheses).  Then it's a matter of modifying most of
the functions that play with lang_input_statement_type structures.
And about here is where I start to mumble.

Alan